Does your dog cower in fear every time a clap of thunder crackles through the sky or a firework explodes during the holidays? When meeting new people does your pooch become nervous? While going for a card ride does your canine buddy start to drool and become car sick? Whenever you leave the house, does your canine suffer from separation anxiety? If you have answered yes to any of these questions, then you might want to try CBD for dogs.
What is CBD Oil for Dogs?
CBD (cannabidiol) is a naturally occurring compound found in hemp. Researchers have found that CBD is highly beneficial for both humans and animals. With a daily dose of CBD oil, dogs will experience less anxiety and enjoy a variety of health benefits. It is important to note that CBD oil for dogs does not contain any tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) (a common cannabinoid found in marijuana), so it produces no psychoactive effects in your canine. In fact, CBD for dogs contains less than 0.03 percent THC so you do not have to worry about your dog becoming ‘high.’
CBD Oil for Dog Anxiety
CBD can offer fast and safe relief for dogs suffering from anxiety. Just like humans, your canine companion can suffer from bouts of anxiety. Certain times of the year, such as the 4th of July and New Year’s, are hard on dogs who have a fear of loud noises. Also, seasonal thunderstorms can emotionally upset your pooch. Any change in a dog’s daily routine may also contribute to an increase in stress.
Symptoms of a canine anxiety attack include:
- Frothing at the mouth
How Does CBD Relieve Anxiety in Dogs?
All mammals have what medical experts refer to as an endocannabinoid system which is made up of two types of receptors: CB1 and CB2. The receptors are located throughout the body and control the immune system, central nervous system, and a variety of other functions. CBD binds with the receptors in your dog’s body and helps encourage the release of serotonin which calms your pet. Many consider serotonin the ‘feel good’ or ‘happy’ hormone because of its relaxation qualities. Pharmaceutical anti-depressants have typically been developed to encourage the release of serotonin. However. CBD naturally spurs the hormone in the body.
CBD to Treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) occurs when a human or dog has suffered a traumatic life event. Canines who have been abandoned at shelters, left alone to fend for themselves on the street, passed from home to home or abused either physically or mentally often suffer from PTSD. The disorder causes the dogs to have panic attacks when left alone, encountering new situations, or around strangers. CBD has proven an effective treatment for PTSD sufferers. Using CBD oil for dogs relieves their anxiety levels. Canines suffering from PTSD typically experience dramatic improvements in their quality of life after the use of CBD. Most dogs have far fewer panic attacks and appear calmer after taking cannabidiol.
CBD for Dog Seizures
Yes, CBD can treat a variety of health problems. In fact, CBD oil to treat dog seizures is being widely embraced by the veterinarian community. Medical experts estimate that 5 percent of canines suffer from seizures. Traditionally, dogs with seizures were placed on phenobarbital and potassium bromide to control the episodes. However, the drugs often harm the dog’s liver and other critical organs. In humans, CBD effectively controls and eliminates certain epilepsy disorders such as Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome. The same epilepsy controlling benefits are noted in canines given CBD.
Using CBD to Fight Cancer
CBD has a strong anti-tumor effect. In fact, in studies*, cannabidiol has stopped cancer cells from growing and also promoted tumor cell death. The body’s immune system receptors bind with the CBD to give the cells a boost to effectively fight cancer. Also, the use of the cannabinoid in conjunction with conventional cancer treatment seems to increase the efficiency of the treatment.
Can CBD Treat More Than Canine Anxiety?
Research has shown that CBD helps a variety of conditions such as:
- Joint issues
- Tumors and cancers
- Seizures and some forms of epilepsy
- Reduces inflammation
- Eases nausea
- Relieves bowel problems
- Regulates mood
Side Effects of CBD Oil
No product is without risks. Dogs consuming CBD oil usually experience no problems or side effects. However, if your dog should accidentally ingest a large quantity of CBD the canine may suffer from gastrointestinal upset. You should promptly contact your veterinarian if you believe your dog has accidentally consumed a considerable amount of the product.
On rare occasions, these three side effects of CBD were noted in dogs, according to the American Kennel Club (AKC):
- Dry mouth: CBD often decreases the production of saliva, so your dog might experience a dry mouth and increased thirst.
- Lowered blood pressure: A high dose of CBD may cause a temporary drop in your canine’s blood pressure.
- Drowsiness: The calming effects of CBD that help relieve canine anxiety also cause slight drowsiness. The drowsiness is increased at higher doses. Many people opt to give their dog CBD right before bed to help the animal sleep better through the night.
CBD Oil for Dogs vs. Other CBD Products
Remember when purchasing CBD oil, dogs love treats and there is a variety of CBD laced doggy treats that might appeal to your pooch. However, it is hard to gauge the amount of CBD in the treats and to know if your dog is receiving an adequate daily amount to meet the animal’s needs. When using CBD oil for your dog, you can place a few drops of the oil directly into canine’s mouth or on top of their food for a precise dose. With a CBD oil, can you tailor the dose and know exactly how much has been given to your furry companion.
Choosing CBD Products for Your Dog
Please remember, not all CBD oil products are the same. When you decide to purchase cannabidiol for your pet here are a few things to consider.
- Organically Grown: Always make sure the product is 100 percent organically grown. The CBD oil should contain no pesticides or harmful solvents (used during processing). The product must also contain no additional additives or fillers. Always check for lab results.
- Purity: Purity matters. You only want to give a premium and pure CBD oil to your dog that was derived from hemp. The purer the CBD oil, the higher the cost.
- Processing: Always investigate how the CBD was processed from the hemp plant. Often a solvent pulls the oil from the plant’s fibers. Chemicals, such as hexane or butane leave a residue in the CBD which can be harmful to your pet. Ideally, any CBD oil for your dogs should be processed with CO2 or grain alcohol extraction methods which both leave behind no harmful chemical residues
- CBD Levels: Always check the product’s level of CBD and make sure it contains less than 0.03 percent THC.
- CBD Oil: Yes, you can purchase CBD-laced animal treats and products, but the best way to buy it is as an oil. This way you can easily tailor your dog’s dosage by adding or subtracting the CBD oil drops as needed.
- Analysis: The manufacturer of the CBD should provide a certificate the clearly states the amount of CBD in the product and any other ingredients.
CBD for dogs relieves anxiety and helps your pooch live a better, stress-free life. In addition, CBD provides plenty of other health benefits for your beloved canine. If you would like to learn more about our superior CBD oil for dogs, then please contact us.
All our CBD products have been organically grown and undergone grain ethanol extraction processing which leaves behind no chemical residue. Our CBD never contains fillers or pesticides and has no GMOs.